This blog is about the race to the White House in 2016. The posts were to start after Labor Day 2015 but the tragic events in Charleston South Carolina prompted most of the candidates for President to speak out. Since the twin issues of gun violence and racism are so critical to our Nation's future well-being this blog is starting prematurely.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ted Cruz Scores for his Side

During last night's GOP debate the highlight was unquestionably Ted Cruz's take down of the moderators. In fact, the moderators were indeed needling the candidates, but that's what they all do. Fox (hardly a liberal bastion) needled Trump to the point that he felt the need to insult Megyn Kelly who is not known for her flaming progressive views. Anderson Cooper of CNN started the democratic debate with a frontal attack on Hillary Clinton accusing her of being flip flopper, disingenuous, and practically a liar.

So Ted Cruz blasting of the CNBC's questioners (also hardly flaming liberals) may sound great for the GOP base and score points with the primary crowd, to the rest of us it sounds like circumventing a question he didn't want to answer, and unnecessary whining. The big difference between Cruz and Clinton is that he tried to wiggle out of answering by questioning the questioners. and Hillary took the question on the chin and answered it completely and forcefully. That is what the non-partisan public is looking for in a President. Someone who is willing and able to tackle the issues head on.

The following is a transcript of the beginning of the debate where Anderson Cooper sailed into Hillary Clinton:

COOPER: Are you all ready?
(APPLAUSE)
All right. Let's begin. We're going to be discussing a lot of the issues, many of the issues, important issues that you have brought up. But I want to begin with concerns that voters have about each of the candidates here on this stage that they have about each of you.
Secretary Clinton, I want to start with you. Plenty of politicians evolve on issues, but even some Democrats believe you change your positions based on political expediency.
You were against same-sex marriage. Now you're for it. You defended President Obama's immigration policies. Now you say they're too harsh. You supported his trade deal dozen of times. You even called it the "gold standard". Now, suddenly, last week, you're against it.
Will you say anything to get elected?
CLINTON: Well, actually, I have been very consistent. Over the course of my entire life, I have always fought for the same values and principles, but, like most human beings -- including those of us who run for office -- I do absorb new information. I do look at what's happening in the world.
Hillary at the Debate
You know, take the trade deal. I did say, when I was secretary of state, three years ago, that I hoped it would be the gold standard. It was just finally negotiated last week, and in looking at it, it didn't meet my standards. My standards for more new, good jobs for Americans, for raising wages for Americans.
And I want to make sure that I can look into the eyes of any middle-class American and say, "this will help raise your wages." And I concluded I could not.
COOPER: Secretary Clinton, though, with all due respect, the question is really about political expediency. Just in July, New Hampshire, you told the crowd you'd, quote, "take a back seat to no one when it comes to progressive values."
Last month in Ohio, you said you plead guilty to, quote, "being kind of moderate and center." Do you change your political identity based on who you're talking to?
CLINTON: No. I think that, like most people that I know, I have a range of views, but they are rooted in my values and my experience. And I don't take a back seat to anyone when it comes to progressive experience and progressive commitment.
You know, when I left law school, my first job was with the Children's Defense Fund, and for all the years since, I have been focused on how we're going to un-stack the deck, and how we're gonna make it possible for more people to have the experience I had.
You know, to be able to come from a grandfather who was a factory worker, a father who was a small business person, and now asking the people of America to elect me president.
COOPER: Just for the record, are you a progressive, or are you a moderate?
CLINTON: I'm a progressive. But I'm a progressive who likes to get things done. And I know...
(APPLAUSE)
...how to find common ground, and I know how to stand my ground, and I have proved that in every position that I've had, even dealing with Republicans who never had a good word to say about me, honestly. But we found ways to work together on everything from...
COOPER: Secretary...
CLINTON: ...reforming foster care and adoption to the Children's Health Insurance Program, which insures...
COOPER: ...thank you...
CLINTON: ...8 million kids. So I have a long history of getting things done, rooted in the same values...
COOPER: ...Senator...
CLINTON: ...I've always had.
This belies the assertion that the Main Stream Media is easy on Hillary. The question asked Cruz was about raising the debt ceiling which he did not want to answer so he whined about Republicans being picked on by the MSM. Not going to go over real well with the voting public, but the partisan crowd ate it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment